Re: Good front end for KVM?

On 09/03/2019 01:51 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What’s everyones favorite front end for KVM?  I’m looking to use KVM for
> several VMs (Win, CentOS6, CentOS7) and was looking for something a bit
> easier to start out on than raw virt-manager.

Unless you just want to learn raw qemu or use virt-manager (workable, but a
bit awkward), then VirtualBox is the key. It uses qemu (and can use several
other backends) It can generate the raw qemu commands if you like.

There is just no comparison. The whole crux of the issue behind VirtualBox was
to wrap qemu in a sane gui that most people could configure without more than
reading a howto. I've tried them all and usually have 6-10 guest running
headless on multiple servers. By my comparison, it is the way to go.

I did use virt-manager (just to do it) and had no issue getting a working Arch
guest going on an Arch host, but it just hasn't had the amount of development
that Oracle put into vbox. Try them all, but I suspect I know where you will
end up.... With the virtualbox-oracle-extensions providing USB to your guests,
it is hard to beat...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.