Re: Switch to trinity

On Sunday 03 February 2019 04:05:36 pm Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2019 19.21:34 phiebie@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Debian Buster, KDE 3.5.10. aptitude
> > As more and more software-updates clash with their dependencies against
> > what KDE needs or provides, I wanted to install trinity, preliminary
> > stable, alongside KDE. KDE should stay operational till I had
> > transferred my settings and programs aso to trinity.
> > No go!
> > Tdebase was fetched and seemingly installed, but when I restarted the
> > computer and wanted to start KDE, there was only a black screen with
> > the mouse-cursor and whatever I did with keyboard or mouse, nothing
> > happened. Cold reboot to clear memory, same thing.
> > Okay, let's then have a look at trinity. A blue screen with the logo
> > appeared and after a few seconds something like "no ..... available
> > check your installation"and I only could close that window via a warm
> > reboot. KDE gave me the black screen again and also TDE said
> > "check installation".
> > Installed TDE again, same results as before. Half an afternoon had
> > passed with no desktop still available.
> > Glad, that I had backupped my system before the experiment and could
> > restore my working KDE.
> > So there's also a clash between TDE and KDE, incredible!
> > Where should I look for the culprit for this disaster?
> > Kind regards.
>
> OK, so...
>
> a) You say Buster. Where did you install TDE from? What version? As far as
> I know, for Buster you need the premilinary builds.
>
> b) You say KDE 3.5.10. I seem to remember that install instructions said to
> purge any KDE 3.5 elements befor install. So yes, KDE 3.5 and TDE clash.
> It's known. I guess that's because thes share files with the same name, but
> different contents.
>
> If you want Trinity, you should better install on a system with no KDE, and
> running a testing TDE on a testing Debian, I'm not really surprised you
> encounter some problems.
>
> These are caused by your environment, not by Trinity itself.

Hi phiebie,

Welcome to TDE!

Couple things to add/agree with.  Yeah, don’t install KDE 3.x and TDE at the
same time, as far as I remember this was never an option?  Someone with more
experience will need to give deeper instructions but in general:

- If you have $10 to spare, just buy a new HDD and use it for testing.  (You
can get a 250GB SATA 6GB/s for $7 on Amazon.)

- Do use a copy of your current KDE 3.x home partition or your user folder
when you’re installing TDE.  Whether you need to install TDE 3.x first then
upgrade to TDE 14.x I’m not sure.  Doing this will [fairly] seamlessly
migrate things like KMail.  (Or at least that’s my memory from ~10 years ago
when I moved from KDE 3.x to TDE 3.x, which hopefully isn’t wrong.)

- If your looking for an “easy” test of a Debian based OS try MX Linux.  It
installs well from their Live USB, gives you their default desktop, and then
you can add TDE like normal.  https://mxlinux.org/

Best,
Michael