Re: TDE and vintage computers

J Leslie Turriff via tde-devels wrote:

>> IMO DCOP is not intended for command line use
>
> Well, no, but for scripting, as shown in the webpage you pointed to.
> (Thank you for providing that; it's much more detailed than what's in the
> Administrator Guide handbook.)

This is not for scripting but for developing applications that use dcop

> DCOP /could/ be used for extending UI functionality in applications, but
> apparently the designers of KDE never thought of that.  In fact, the only

But it is not working the way you obviously think it would work.
Again it is there to provide interfaces to be used between applications on
the same or on a remote computer.

You can not access the interface via script - it is just like DBus - a sort
of the grand mother.

> PCish computer OSes I can think of that provide such user-oriented
> capability were OS/2 and AmigaOS.  (There might be others I have not come
> across.) I admit I have been thoroughly spoiled by early exposure to IBM's
> text-only (then) mainframe OSes, which provided such capabilities*, and I
> want to emphasize that my intention in this thread is not to criticise
> TDE.
>
> Leslie
>
> *For instance, see Chapter 7 of the z/VM Xedit User's Guide -

https://www-40.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc0302a.nsf/pages/zVMV7R2sc246338/$file/dmsb5_v7r2.pdf

Mixed feelings about IBM.

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA  4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0