Re: TDE and vintage computers

J Leslie Turriff via tde-devels wrote:

> Of course; and I'm not criticizing here, just describing the difference in
> approach between DCOP and other systems' support for application
> extension. What I'm saying is that the DCOP functions are more concerned
> with manipulating the windows and dialogs of an application rather than
> providing ways to extend the functionality of the applications.  For

This is added automatically via the libraries - I'm not sure, but it might
be via declaring as unique application.

> example, I see no way to extend the capabilities of a message view window;
> the only methods listed (if I am looking at the right DCOP method subset;
> hard to tell) are slotApplicationDisconnected(), slotFolderListUpdated(),
> slotFolderUpdated(), slotWalletClosed(), walletOpenResult() and
> interfaces().  There are no methods for retrieving the list of messages in
> a folder, for instance, so one cannot use DCOP to move the message view
> window from one message to the next. Similarly, there are apparently only
> a handful of text manipulation methods in Kate's DCOP repertoire:
> insertLine(), insertText(), removeLine(), removeText() and a few others;
> hardly helpful for editing text, which is the purpose of the application.
> Perhaps the worst deficiency of the DCOP facility is the lack of
> documentation, especially in the applications that provide DCOP methods;
> none of the application handbooks I've looked at make reference to their
> DCOP capabilities, so the end-user is pretty much kept ignorant of even
> the existence of the interface.

But DCOP is not meant to be used directly. It is to provide communication
between applications (even running on different computers). This is what
was then replaced by DBus and the effort was discussed (Slavek, Michele
other devs) what needs to be done to move TDE to DBus. I do not recall
exactly if we agreed to work on that after 14.2 or so.
IMO it would be great to move to DBus.

As for the functionality exposed to DCOP, it must be coded in the
application, which is not done without a meaningful requirement. So what
you see in DCOP is there, because something needs it to communicate with
the application for a specific reason. The same holds for DBus. No one
would code functionality because someone might need it. It is coded only if
it is needed.

I know only this page
https://www.trinitydesktop.org/docs/trinity/tdelibs/dcop/html/index.html

Regarding Kate it could be that dcop is needed for the Kate Part - I don't
know for sure.

IMO DCOP is not intended for command line use

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA  4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0