Re: TDE and vintage computers

On 2024-05-22 04:29:29 deloptes via tde-devels wrote:
> J Leslie Turriff via tde-devels wrote:
> >> Important though is I like tinkering with them much like people tinker
> >> with old cars. There is a strong nostalgic effect playing with them. I
> >> wish I still had my C-64 and Amiga 1000 and 3000.
> >
> > I wish I could do with DCOP what I could with the Amiga's
> > inter-application ports.  (It's not that DCOP doesn't provide such an
> > interface, but that TDE applications don't provide much in the way of
> > user-level commands; e.g. YAM allows one to easily navigate mail folders,
> > switch mail items, etc.; there are no similar commands in Kmail's DCOP
> > interface, mostly they are involved with manipulating windows, not their
> > contents; and in KDE and TDE there is no information about DCOP
> > capabilities in applications' handbooks, so it's very hard to figure out
> > how to do much with DCOP.
>
> I disagree here, in kdcop you should see the applications and there
> interfaces. It depends on the application what functionality is exposed to
> dcop.
>
> BR

	Of course; and I'm not criticizing here, just describing the difference in
approach between DCOP and other systems' support for application extension.
	What I'm saying is that the DCOP functions are more concerned with
manipulating the windows and dialogs of an application rather than providing
ways to extend the functionality of the applications.  For example, I see no
way to extend the capabilities of a message view window; the only methods
listed (if I am looking at the right DCOP method subset; hard to tell) are
slotApplicationDisconnected(), slotFolderListUpdated(), slotFolderUpdated(),
slotWalletClosed(), walletOpenResult() and interfaces().  There are no
methods for retrieving the list of messages in a folder, for instance, so one
cannot use DCOP to move the message view window from one message to the next.
	Similarly, there are apparently only a handful of text manipulation methods
in Kate's DCOP repertoire: insertLine(), insertText(), removeLine(),
removeText() and a few others; hardly helpful for editing text, which is the
purpose of the application.
	Perhaps the worst deficiency of the DCOP facility is the lack of
documentation, especially in the applications that provide DCOP methods; none
of the application handbooks I've looked at make reference to their DCOP
capabilities, so the end-user is pretty much kept ignorant of even the
existence of the interface.

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux