Re: TDE and vintage computers

On 2024-05-23 13:32:15 deloptes via tde-devels wrote:
> But DCOP is not meant to be used directly. It is to provide communication
> between applications (even running on different computers). This is what
> was then replaced by DBus and the effort was discussed (Slavek, Michele
> other devs) what needs to be done to move TDE to DBus. I do not recall
> exactly if we agreed to work on that after 14.2 or so.
> IMO it would be great to move to DBus.
>
> As for the functionality exposed to DCOP, it must be coded in the
> application, which is not done without a meaningful requirement. So what
> you see in DCOP is there, because something needs it to communicate with
> the application for a specific reason. The same holds for DBus. No one
> would code functionality because someone might need it. It is coded only if
> it is needed.
>
> I know only this page
> https://www.trinitydesktop.org/docs/trinity/tdelibs/dcop/html/index.html
>
> Regarding Kate it could be that dcop is needed for the Kate Part - I don't
> know for sure.
>
> IMO DCOP is not intended for command line use

	Well, no, but for scripting, as shown in the webpage you pointed to.  (Thank
you for providing that; it's much more detailed than what's in the
Administrator Guide handbook.)
	DCOP /could/ be used for extending UI functionality in applications, but
apparently the designers of KDE never thought of that.  In fact, the only
PCish computer OSes I can think of that provide such user-oriented capability
were OS/2 and AmigaOS.  (There might be others I have not come across.)
	I admit I have been thoroughly spoiled by early exposure to IBM's text-only
(then) mainframe OSes, which provided such capabilities*, and I want to
emphasize that my intention in this thread is not to criticise TDE.

Leslie

*For instance, see Chapter 7 of the z/VM Xedit User's Guide -
https://www-40.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc0302a.nsf/pages/zVMV7R2sc246338/$file/dmsb5_v7r2.pdf
--
Platform: Linux
Desktop Environment: Trinity