Re: Unmet build dependencies: ninja-build

On Saturday 15 of May 2021 18:05:04 deloptes wrote:
> Michele Calgaro via tde-devels wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > In hindsight, it would have been more appropriate if we had sent an
> > email to the devel ML informing everyone of the change from make to
> > ninja build as default for DEB-like distros. It didn't come to our
> > mind, apologies for that :-) As Slavek mentioned, you can still build
> > using make if you wish, just get rid of the ninja-build dependency in
> > the debian/control file.
>
> I have seen the merge of the PR, but as said before I was curious about
> the why. IMO you are the bosses and proven to take good decisions.
> I do not think it is necessary to inform in advance or to apologies for
> that.
> I was just surprised by the hard dependency. I am not sure if it can be
> done via recommendation. If it can work as before without ninja-build,
> why the hard dependency? But it is still OK for me - important is that
> the code works at the end.

Because here is an intention to use ninja-build as the default for building
deb packages, it was necessary to add ninja-build in "control" files to
Build-Depends to ensure the installation of ninja-build package. It is
simply not possible to make an dependency optional for such a case,
bacause the package building conditions must be unambiguous.

Cheers
--
Slávek