Re: Unmet build dependencies: ninja-build

On Saturday 15 of May 2021 12:44:28 Michael Howard via tde-devels wrote:
> Anyway, I have been building TDE for many, many years, writing my own
> build scripts,  particularly for arm and before any arm architectures
> existed in TDE. I've built using cross-compilers and natively on devices
> that were  VERY 'sluggish' so the time taken/saved is no concern to me.
>
> I've had to focus on life issues for the past couple of years so have
> had to neglect my hobbying. Anyway, in the short term, as Slávek says,
> the control file can be edited to remove the dependency.
>
> These things though have a habit of creeping and maybe the point will
> come when 'classic' make can't be used.
>
> Hey, as long as I can continue to not depend on ninja this or ninja
> that, I'm happy.

Because the building of one source repository for me in R14.0.10 was 63
binary builds, there is very important for me to build it as efficiently
as possible.

We first solved the problems that were with parallel builds in order to
effectively use multi-core systems. The next step is the conversion from
automake to CMake because CMake builds are more efficient than automake.
Using ninja-build enabled us very easy to get further efficiency. Simply
because ninja-build can do the same work better than the classic make.

You can remember the time when after freezing the source code, it took a
month or more for everything was built. Thanks to parallel builds and
CMake conversions, we managed to shorten the time to build to two weeks.
For R14.0.10 we managed to complete the builds in one week. It is likely
that the use of ninja-build will allow us another shortening.

It is great that CMake can generate classic makefiles as well as build file
for ninja-build. There is only the use of the appropriate option for call
CMake. As a result, full support remains equivalent to both - classic make
as well as ninja-build. There is no intention to do some limitations. The
only thing that was done is the selection of ninja-build as the default
for official builds. You can build with the build tool that you prefer.

Cheers
--
Slávek