Re: Unmet build dependencies: ninja-build

On 15/05/2021 11:21, deloptes wrote:
Michael Howard via tde-devels wrote:

 From my perspective, yes.

Hey, I can live without TDE, I'll just move on to another desktop. The
link to Google, however tenuous, is too much for me.
That the guy developing this tool is employee @Google does not mean that the
tool is made deliberately by Google. Why the hassle?!

It might, it might not but the link, however tenuous, is there. Why the hassle? Choice and a dislike of unilateralism.

If you are concerned, please review the code of ninja-build and give me/us
something that would prove you are right. We are not in the middle ages
yet.

I have no intention of reviewing ninja-build code. Far too many better things to do.

We all would benefit if one has a concern and would review the code.
I have many concerns regarding the Linux OS and it is not developed by
Google employees but you and I still use it.

The fact it is not developed by Google helps me a lot :) I wont go into my reasons for not trusting or liking Google, far too many of them as well.

Out of curiosity - what kind of mobile OS are you using?

That's my business but I assume your point is Android?

Anyway, I have been building TDE for many, many years, writing my own build scripts,  particularly for arm and before any arm architectures existed in TDE. I've built using cross-compilers and natively on devices that were  VERY 'sluggish' so the time taken/saved is no concern to me.

I've had to focus on life issues for the past couple of years so have had to neglect my hobbying. Anyway, in the short term, as Slávek says, the control file can be edited to remove the dependency.

These things though have a habit of creeping and maybe the point will come when 'classic' make can't be used.

Hey, as long as I can continue to not depend on ninja this or ninja that, I'm happy.

--
Michael Howard.