Re: Unmet build dependencies: ninja-build

On Friday 14 of May 2021 21:36:26 deloptes wrote:
> Why is ninja-build now required?
>
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: ninja-build
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied;
> aborting
>

> regards

Hi to all, Emanoil, Michael,

the question of change from classic make to ninja-build we discussed with
Michele in jabber room during pull requests TDE/tde-packaging#79 and
TDE/tde-packaging#81. See:

https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea/TDE/tde-packaging/pulls/79
https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea/TDE/tde-packaging/pulls/81

Ninja-build has been successfully used for a long time as the default for
our CMake builds on FreeBSD. During testing on deb packages, I observed,
for example, the acceleration of tde-i18n building from 20 to 10 minutes,
tdelibs for armhf from 25 to 19 minutes. It is obvious that ninja-build
can better deal with a large number of build targets and parallel building
compared to classic make.

BTW, before a long time I tested the creation of central CMakeLists.txt in
tde-i18n - to allow all languages to be built by one CMake and make call.
But with classic make it became completely unthinkable because every
launch of classic make requested approximately 20 minutes before anything
started. That is why I had to leave this idea at that time. Now I look
forward to the same task I can test with ninja-build.

Don't forget that I have to build many packages for many distributions and
architectures on my builders. Therefore, every acceleration is useful. The
ninja-build package is already part of Debian from Jessie. Therefore, we
did not expect any complications to prevent change. In any case, classic
make support is not canceled. If you remove ninja-build from Build-Depends
in "control" file, the classic make will be used automatically.

Cheers
--
Slávek