Re: isert for mellanox drivers

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:38:25PM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:54:40PM +0300, sagi grimberg wrote:
> > Well, I feel the same way (although less harsh about it), I would
> > prefer to have it all inbox.
> > As I see it, OFED is useful for costumers who want to upgrade RDMA
> > functionality (or get Tech previews)
> > without upgrading their distro or wait for it to land upstream.
>
> For that we have the compat drivers project, which could easily handle
> the rdma drivers as well.
>
> The problem with OFED is (or was last time a looked) that it's a big
> pile that includes backports, and new features not submitted or even
> rejected upstream.

Official OFA OFED is now strictly backports from a given kernel
verison, and TBH, is not widely used now that everything is included
in the modern distros.

The vendor 'OFEDs' remain a big pile. I'm not even sure source is
proved for them.. At least it isn't readily apparent.

IMHO, the vendors should not be co-opting the OFED branding, but that
is a whole other topic....

Jason