Re: fd_do_rw() returned -22 for non S_ISBLK

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 22:55 +0100, Henrik Goldman wrote:
> > Not sure what you mean here..  Does this mean the filesystem that the
> > FILEIO file is referencing was offline when the -EINVAL error was
> > generated..?
> >

> Correct. Physically HDD's were gone but the filesystem was still
> exported using targetcli.
> As said this is just a misconfiguration on my part. However obviously
> a feature would be for targetcli to detect if a filesystem is really
> valid or not.
>

> > Strange, FILEIO does support WRITE_SAME (VAAI BlockZero) emulation and
> > there is no reason why it should be failing..
> >

> But this is probably from 3.12 kernel, right? We're still on 3.11.
> However even if VAAI is not supported with 3.11 then likely it should
> not fail.

FYI, the WRITE_SAME (VAAI BlockZero) parts have been included since the
v3.8 time frame.

Starting with v3.12 code, COMPARE_AND_WRITE (VAAI AtomicTestAndSet) and
EXTENDED_COPY (VAAI CopyOffload) support was added.

Note this VAAI primitives work independent of each other, and it's
possible to check what is enabled using:

    esxcli storage core device vaai status get

--nab