Re: fd_do_rw() returned -22 for non S_ISBLK

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 21:26 +0100, Henrik Goldman wrote:

> > So AFAICT the -EINVAL error on READs is most likely coming some where
> > from within the underlying file-system, and not the underlying storage
> > (eg: we'd typically see a HBA failure if this was the case).
> >
> > Anything special about the file-system here..?
>
> Ok so I think I found the reason.
>
> The truth is that we used to have a set of both SSD + HDD's in the
> machine until we pulled the HDD's out last week. Targetcli was still
> recording the HDD's as active even though the real filesystem does not
> exist anymore. Essentially old references to non-existent hardware.
>
> After removing this reference from targetcli the errors magically also
> disappeared.

Not sure what you mean here..  Does this mean the filesystem that the
FILEIO file is referencing was offline when the -EINVAL error was
generated..?

> However the reason why I started noticing this to begin with was that
> I saw disk write errors within one vmware virtual machine running on
> the actual datastore.
> The problem that I had was that it kept saying "Write same failed.
> Manually zeroing".

Strange, FILEIO does support WRITE_SAME (VAAI BlockZero) emulation and
there is no reason why it should be failing..

> So assuming that this error -22 was a false alarm due to
> misconfiguration then I am still trying to find out why the other
> error actually happened.
>
> Could this be some feature not properly implemented in the target driver?
>
> -

Nope.  WRITE_SAME emulation for IBLOCK and FILEIO backends has been
around for a while now.

--nab