Re: Lower than expected iSCSI performance compared to CIFS

On Sun, 25 August 2013 22:26:57 -0600, Scott Hallowell wrote:

> I spent a little time trying to characterize difference between my
> system and the comparison NAS.  One thing I looked at, which may or
> may not indicate anything, was the Queue Depth in info for the LUN
> under configFS on both my system and the comparison system.  I put
> together a little script to cat the contents of info to a configFS
> entry every second or so while the copy was commencing.  On my system,
> I'd see the size of the "left" queue depth drop to around 103, at it's
> lowest point when writing from a Windows 7 system.  It gets down to 81
> when running from a WIndows 2008 system.  I have a Max of 128 entries
> listed.  On the comparison NAS system, the Max number of queue entries
> is 32, and the "left" queue depth never goes below 31.

To me this indicates a latency issue.  If you can measure the average
latency from windows or any other initiator, you could quickly
confirm.  And the likely cause is the usual: cheating.  Caching all
data in memory will turn the problem from latency-limited to
bandwidth-limited - at the cost of the odd data corruption if you
happen to crash or get a power failure.

If you would like to purchase this ultra-fast storage device and don't
want a guarantee to actually get your data back, I can make you a good
offer. ;)

Jörn

--
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that
something else is more important than fear.