Re: T10 VPD Binary Device Identifier is not persistent?

On 10/10/2012 03:08 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> lio_node is an iscsi-target fabric specific CLI tool (part of lio-utils)
>> that is the legacy CLI method of driving configfs group layout
>> of /sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/.
>
> Which is my only need, currently.  But as you say, given that lio_node
> is CLI, it makes it easy to automatically shell script up a
> configuration based on devices found on a node, etc. without requiring a
> user to drive the interface.  I don't know if targetcli really has any
> way to drive it from a shell script like that.

targetcli-fb can be driven from the commandline/scripts. You can also
use the rtslib Python library directly for programmatic target
configuration, if using Python is an option.

>> As Andy mentioned, Fedora uses JSON for persistent configuration with
>> targetcli+rtslib, so you'll want to use the official user-space
>> targetcli package that RHAT ships for best results in your case.
>
> Except that RHAT's implementation does not include the iscsi spec so it
> can't configure iscsi without one manually dropping the spec in.  Not a
> biggie, just a note to mention that RHAT doesn't really officially
> support configuring iscsi with it.  But then again, they don't ship and
> support the target driver either -- at the EL6 level at least.

Yup. targetcli is only there for fcoe target, really -- tgtd is the
supported iscsi target for rhel6. rhel7 will support all kernel target
fabrics.

Regards -- Andy