Re: T10 VPD Binary Device Identifier is not persistent?

On 10/10/2012 11:57 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-10-10 02:47 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
>>
>> This means the
>> individual /sys/kernel/config/target/core/$HBA/$DEV/wwn/vpd_unit_serial
>> attributes values are not being saved and/or reset between target
>> restart.
>
> Ahhh.
>
>> How are you saving the running configuration of configfs..?
>
> I'm instantiating on each reboot with lio_node commands in
> /etc/target/lio_start.sh.  Presumably this is not guaranteed to maintain
> a consistent vpd_unit_serial then, is that right?
>
>> If using your own native rtslib code to setup everything in configfs,
>> then you'll need to _get_wwn() + save the newly generated values for
>> each device after first time creation, and then re-set the saved value
>> using _set_wwn() after subsequent creations with gen_wwn=false.
>
> I see.  I never came across any configuration examples that did this.  I
> will look further into it.
>
>> Otherwise you can also use 'saveconfig' from within rtsadmin/targetcli,
>
> I did see that, and I did try one and noticed the JSON file that was
> created in /etc/target but I couldn't manage to figure out how that
> saved JSON file was ever reloaded on a reboot.

If it's a json file instead of a shell script, I assume you're using a
-fb version of targetcli? Then you don't need lio-utils. You can restore
the config in /etc/target/saveconfig.json with 'targetcli restoreconfig
clear_existing=true', which is what the distro's init scripts should be
doing for you, if the service is enabled.

Regards -- Andy