Re: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx/<WWN>

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 12:53 -0400, Daniel Lane wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger
> <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 23:09 -0400, Daniel Lane wrote:
> >> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Daniel Lane <dracodan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

> >> Part of this doesn't sound right, here is what the linux-iscsi site
> >> says for support:
> >> "QLogic 2400 Series (single-port QLx246x), 4GBFC"
> >>
> >> That first x can be an E for PCI-Express or an A for PCI-X, so is it
> >> the 236x cards that support was removed for?  Is the info in the wiki
> >> a mistake?
> >>

> > The bulk of what got removed was supporting the really old
> > !IS_FWI2_CAPABLE cases.  From your experience so far it sounds like the
> > 236x series target mode silicon might be close enough to semi-easily
> > forward-port legacy support to mainline code, preferably without all of
> > the extra !IS_FWI2_CAPABLE cruft required for <= 22xx silicon.
> >
> > I'm not sure where the line between ~IS_FWI2_CAPABLE is for 236x series,
> > but I would imagine the Qlogic/Linux folks would know.
> >
> > So the commit from early this year to drop can be found in the
> > historical lio-core-2.6.git tree here:
> >
> > qla2xxx: Drop legacy pre 24xx target mode support
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/nab/lio-core-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=db763cc35ca816d01cc25ee5f488f8b43bb74af5
> >
> > Your more than welcome to try a forward-port (ask questions on the list)
> > of this code to suit your needs.
> >

> Thanks for the info, unfortunately I still have a few questions.  The
> comment on the commit you sent has the erroneous line of "QLA 24xx
> (PCI-E) adapters for mainline target LLD code."  Problem is that the
> QLA cards aren't PCI-E, they're PCI-X.  I see that the wiki has been
> updated as of yesterday to reflect that, but I wanted to confirm this
> since PCI-X QLA2462 cards are roughly $30 on ebay where PCI-E QLE2462
> cards are roughly $130.

AFAICT there is no difference at the code level for target mode support
within qla_target.c between PCI-e and PCI-X 24xx series adapters.

The Qlogic folks who are CC'ed here will know for sure.

>   Another thing I just noticed that could be an
> even bigger issue is that the article says "QLogic 2400 Series
> (single-port QLE246x), 4GBFC", key word being single-port... Can you
> confirm that only single port 2400 series cards are supported?  The
> price of 25xx cards is completely out of the question for a lab setup,
> as it is this has already gone from a cheap alternative to iSCSI to an
> impractical expense.  If indeed only single port cards are supported,
> would it be possible to use two separate cards?  Also, the wiki should
> be updated to say "QLogic 2400 Series (single-port QLE2460), 4GBFC".

Both single port (1x) and multi port (2x, 4x) are fully supported within
qla_target.c + tcm_qla2xxx code.

--nab