Re: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx/<WWN>

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Andy Grover <agrover@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/14/2012 08:20 AM, Daniel Lane wrote:
>> I have another problem now though, not sure if I need to submit a new
>> E-mail to the list or not (for tracking), let me know if I do.
>
> Yeah I'd say you could start a new email thread next time, no biggie.
>
> (Also, please don't top post.)
>
>> The new problem: After rebuilding my initramfs and rebooting, I found
>> that roughly every 30 seconds the server would completely freeze for
>> about 30 seconds, but then go back to responding.  This happens from
>> SSH and the local console, and no matter what I'm doing.  Strangely a
>> continuous ping to the server never drops a packet or has any increase
>> response time. I tried using top to see if there was something causing
>> heavy CPU/Memory/IO but from what I could tell (top stops updating
>> during freezes).  I checked /var/log/messages but there was nothing
>> pertaining to the problem.
>>
>> The one big thing that concerns me is the fact that I am NOT using a
>> "supported" HBA, my HBA is a QLogic QLA2362.  I was curious whether
>> there was a reason why you guys say that only the 24xx+ cards are
>> compatible, were there issues with the older cards or were they just
>> not tested?
>
> I haven't been involved with the development but I believe support for
> pre-PCIe cards was explicitly REMOVED from the driver before it went
> into the mainline kernel. I'm surprised it even partially works.
>
> Regards -- Andy

That's disappointing... sure hope I win this auction for a QLE2462 so
I can give targetcli another shot.  I would be interested in knowing
why it was removed since it was already in the driver and the card
worked perfectly with SCST.  The abundance of PCI-X cards on ebay for
dirt cheap are what attracted me to the idea of using fiber channel
instead of iSCSI in the first place.  With VMware labs being such a
popular use for this kind of thing I would think supporting old
hardware would be something to pay attention to... then again, I guess
the people doing home labs aren't paying customers (that wasn't meant
to sound derogatory).

Sorry about the top post, that's where the gmail web client tries to
put everything by default.

Thanks for the info!
Dan