Re: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx/<WWN>

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Daniel Lane <dracodan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Andy Grover <agrover@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 09/14/2012 08:20 AM, Daniel Lane wrote:
>>> I have another problem now though, not sure if I need to submit a new
>>> E-mail to the list or not (for tracking), let me know if I do.
>>
>> Yeah I'd say you could start a new email thread next time, no biggie.
>>
>> (Also, please don't top post.)
>>
>>> The new problem: After rebuilding my initramfs and rebooting, I found
>>> that roughly every 30 seconds the server would completely freeze for
>>> about 30 seconds, but then go back to responding.  This happens from
>>> SSH and the local console, and no matter what I'm doing.  Strangely a
>>> continuous ping to the server never drops a packet or has any increase
>>> response time. I tried using top to see if there was something causing
>>> heavy CPU/Memory/IO but from what I could tell (top stops updating
>>> during freezes).  I checked /var/log/messages but there was nothing
>>> pertaining to the problem.
>>>
>>> The one big thing that concerns me is the fact that I am NOT using a
>>> "supported" HBA, my HBA is a QLogic QLA2362.  I was curious whether
>>> there was a reason why you guys say that only the 24xx+ cards are
>>> compatible, were there issues with the older cards or were they just
>>> not tested?
>>
>> I haven't been involved with the development but I believe support for
>> pre-PCIe cards was explicitly REMOVED from the driver before it went
>> into the mainline kernel. I'm surprised it even partially works.
>>
>> Regards -- Andy
>

> That's disappointing... sure hope I win this auction for a QLE2462 so
> I can give targetcli another shot.  I would be interested in knowing
> why it was removed since it was already in the driver and the card
> worked perfectly with SCST.  The abundance of PCI-X cards on ebay for
> dirt cheap are what attracted me to the idea of using fiber channel
> instead of iSCSI in the first place.  With VMware labs being such a
> popular use for this kind of thing I would think supporting old
> hardware would be something to pay attention to... then again, I guess
> the people doing home labs aren't paying customers (that wasn't meant
> to sound derogatory).
>
> Sorry about the top post, that's where the gmail web client tries to
> put everything by default.
>
> Thanks for the info!
> Dan

Part of this doesn't sound right, here is what the linux-iscsi site
says for support:
"QLogic 2400 Series (single-port QLx246x), 4GBFC"

That first x can be an E for PCI-Express or an A for PCI-X, so is it
the 236x cards that support was removed for?  Is the info in the wiki
a mistake?

Thanks again,
Dan