Re: systemd prerelease 256-rc1

On Do, 25.04.24 18:52, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >         * systemd-gpt-auto-generator will stop generating units for ESP or
> >           XBOOTLDR partitions if it finds mount entries for or below the /boot/
> >           or /efi/ hierarchies in /etc/fstab. This is to prevent the generator
> >           from interfering with systems where the ESP is explicitly configured
> >           to be mounted at some path, for example /boot/efi/ (this type of
> >           setup is obsolete, but still commonly found).
>
> This is not obsolete. Please do not say it is when it is not true.

Uh, we mark outdated concepts as obsolete all the time. You might
disagree with that, but that doesn't change the fact that from our PoV
/boot/efi/ is obsolete, just like split /usr/, or cgroupv1.

Nesting /efi/ in /boot/ is bad for plenty reasons, as has been widely
discussed, so I am not going to repeat this here. And this has been
communicated for multiple years now, and all the automatisms in
systemd do not work for such a setup, hence I think saying that this
setup is obsolete by now is not an understatement.

I know that Fedora is sadly behind on boot loader topics, but that's
no reason for changing our stance from systemd upstream on these
things.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin