Re: systemd prerelease 256-rc1

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 9:41 AM Lennart Poettering
<lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Do, 25.04.24 18:52, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > >         * systemd-gpt-auto-generator will stop generating units for ESP or
> > >           XBOOTLDR partitions if it finds mount entries for or below the /boot/
> > >           or /efi/ hierarchies in /etc/fstab. This is to prevent the generator
> > >           from interfering with systems where the ESP is explicitly configured
> > >           to be mounted at some path, for example /boot/efi/ (this type of
> > >           setup is obsolete, but still commonly found).
> >
> > This is not obsolete. Please do not say it is when it is not true.
>
> Uh, we mark outdated concepts as obsolete all the time. You might
> disagree with that, but that doesn't change the fact that from our PoV
> /boot/efi/ is obsolete, just like split /usr/, or cgroupv1.
>
> Nesting /efi/ in /boot/ is bad for plenty reasons, as has been widely
> discussed, so I am not going to repeat this here. And this has been
> communicated for multiple years now, and all the automatisms in
> systemd do not work for such a setup, hence I think saying that this
> setup is obsolete by now is not an understatement.
>
> I know that Fedora is sadly behind on boot loader topics, but that's
> no reason for changing our stance from systemd upstream on these
> things.

There are fewer distros using /efi than /boot/efi, and no major
distributions that use /boot/efi.

Complaining about it being a Fedora thing (which I guess I need to
remind this audience that I am involved in more than Fedora, and every
distribution I work on does use /boot/efi instead of /efi) is weird
since it's not just Fedora. It's pretty much everyone.