Re: Ton of random units "could not be found"

On Sat, 2023-12-16 at 15:31 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fr, 15.12.23 22:17, chandler (scar@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >     Other items have different situations, like tmp.mount exists at
> > /usr/share/systemd/tmp.mount but isn't an enabled unit or anything, if I
> > try to enable or unmask it I'm just told "Unit tmp.mount could not be
> > found." or "Unit file tmp.mount does not exist."
>
> /usr/share/systemd/ is not a directory systemd ever looks into for
> unit files. If debian packaged something there, this smells like a
> bug. Please report to your distro.

Debian does not use tmpfs for /tmp by default. The unit is placed there
because it's intentionally not in use unless you enable it (and not
just by "systemctl enable", I believe it's done this way to prevent any
dependencies in other units from accidentally activating it, possibly
at a moment when it would hide already existing contents of /tmp).