Re: systemd-resolve and name servers order

W dniu 2023-10-11 09:50, Marc napisał(a):

I think this is not how resolv.conf was designed to be used. Are you 100% sure this is the only way to solve your issue? Having 3 different nameservers reporting different results? Can't you do something with views and sorting? What about just giving your server 3 different ip's and configure the nameservers with specific views for that?

Three different nameservers reporting different results is not my design. It's something myself as end user I have been given and I have to live with. Whole company has to live with it. The solution you are describing is probably technically possible but that's not just one server - it's plenty of servers that are managed by different configuration systems that simply receive network settings via DHCP. Assigning three different IP addresses and configuring views (bind views I'm assuming?) adds massive complexity so I hoped some simpler solution will be possible. In the past prior to systemd-resolve as a default solution the order I think was followed. From what I understand windows https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd197552(v=ws.10) prefers first server on the list (it doesn't prefer secondary over tertiary but first one is preferred) so people got used to it. Now systemd-resolve doesn't seem to care about the order. Formally that might be a correct approach but this is a change to what we used to have in the past. So I think having possibility to follow the order would be something nice to have.