Re: Monotonic time went backwards, rotating log

On Thu, 05 Oct 2023 13:32:37 -0400
Phillip Susi <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Phillip Susi <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Lennart Poettering <lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> >> It actually checks that first:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/src/libsystemd/sd-journal/journal-file.c#L2201
> >
> > That's what I'm saying: it should have noticed that FIRST and not gotten
> > to the monotonic time check, but it didn't.
>
> I decided to try looking into this again.  It seems it's also my system
> log that is rotated on each boot with this message about the monotonic
> clock, despite the fact that it should be rotated first just because
> it's a new boot.

Hi,

have you checked your boot ID, maybe it's often the same as the previous
boot?

IIRC I had that problem on a device that had no RTC and when no
software (kernel, etc.?) had been updated at all. The said device had
problems keeping its logs in order, too, with some old systemd version.

Thanks,
pq