Re: Root remaining read-only after boot, no obvious reason why

Hi, Zbyszek,

The kernel default is to mount root ro, so unless there's some configuration to
mount or remount it rw, it'll stay ro. Generally this is configured in two
places 'rw' on the kernel command line and 'rw' in /etc/fstab. Do you have
one or both of those?
Yes. In this case, the kernel command line in grub contains the usual "ro" option, but /etc/fstab has an entry for root with "defaults" as the sole option. Default options are theoretically "rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async". To verify, I placed that option list in /etc/fstab for root, and saw the same behavior on reboot, so I eliminated the fstab entry as a potential issue.

Also related - the device is identified in fstab by UUID, not by label or partition. I verified the UUID of the device still matches the UUID in fstab, etc.

If I change the kernel command line in grub to use "rw", root mounts rw as expected.

If a remount is done, it'll be done by systemd-remount-fs.service. Do you
see it in the logs?
Ah, I misunderstood initrd-switch-root - thanks. On a system that successfully boots with root mounted rw, I don't see anything about systemd-remount-fs.service until it's shutdown, when the service is stopped, but systemd was ratelimited by the kernel on that boot, so a startup message may have been missed. But - I can see that systemd-remount-fs.service is Active/exited (via systemctl status command).

On the problem system, systemd-remount-fs.service is inactive/dead - and shows the same status if I reboot with "rw" on the kernel command line (which would be expected, given our symptoms, I think?).

On both systems, it's linked in /usr/lib/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants - so, should be run as part of getting to that target, if I understand correctly? What should my next step be to determine why it's not being run?

Thank you!

Dave

Dave Re
Manager, DevOps Engineering
www.imprivata.com
20 CityPoint, 6th Floor
​480 Totten Pond Road
​Waltham, MA  02451
Facebook
LinkedIn
Twitter
YouTube
The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.  [ImprivataV12018]
--- Begin Message ---

Imprivata Cares Spring Cleaning Donation Drive

April 12 - May 31

Spring has sprung and it's the perfect time to clean out your closets to make some donations to those in need. This spring, we will be collecting to benefit various local organizations supporting families.

Catie’s Closet is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Massachusetts that provides clothes, toiletries, and other basic essentials to students living in poverty right within their schools. They set up free stores in schools, giving children direct access to everything they need to attend class confidently.

Donation criteria

We accept items that are appropriate for children attending school. All items donated should be free of excessive wear, rips, stains and any inappropriate sayings or gestures.

Donations will be collected in Waltham office 5th floor café donation bin.

Most needed items:

New and gently used clothing

·       Youth boys & girls sizes 3 - 20

·       Teen boys & girls sizes XS - 3X | 00 - 24 and 28 - 48

·       Infant & toddler size 0 month - 2T

·       Tops: tank tops, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweaters, hoodies, outerwear

·       Bottoms: shorts, jeans, pants, sweatpants, capris, leggings/activewear

New full-sized toiletries

·       Youth: shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes

·       Teen: shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, toothbrushes, toothpastes, shaving products, feminine products

New socks and undergarments

·       We accept all youth and teen sizes of underwear, bras, and socks

·       New Shoes (all sizes)

Other items we accept

·       Accessories, school supplies, backpacks/duffel bags, jewelry, formal wear, career wear

·       Uniforms

·       Textured hair products

We do not accept any household goods, furniture, toys/books or baby products

Amazon Wishlist

Provide BRAND NEW clothing and basic necessities to our students through our Amazon Wish Lists. Each list is updated regularly to reflect the current needs of our students. Choose your region to support, fill up your cart, and ship directly to our Distribution Center! BONUS: shop on Amazon Smile and a portion of your transaction supports Catie’s Closet!

For questions about the Catie’s Closet drive please contact Courtney Pashos

cpashos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

More than 100 children and their families live with us day-in and day-out. However, that’s not all. Nearly 32,000 families get help at the Ministries every year. Meeting the ever-increasing need of Tampa Bay depends on the generosity and commitment of community partners. Think of the simple things you need each day a good meal, a toothbrush. Every year, generous in-kind gifts from friends like you help us fulfill our mission of serving the poor and homeless families in our community.

Donations will be collected throughout the Clearwater office.

Most needed items:

·       New and gently used clothing

·       New backpacks (teens and children, unisex)

·       Pencils

·       Pencil cases

·       Erasers

·       Composition notebooks

·       Spiral notebooks (1, 3 & 5 subject)

·       Dividers

·       Colored pencils

·       Crayons

·       New 3 ring binders (1-2 in)

·       Standard ruler

·       Pocket folders

·       3 prong folders

·       Highlighters

·       Scissors

·       4 GB flash drives

·       Scientific calculators

Amazon Wishlist

Amazon Wishlists help take the guesswork out of giving. Browse through our lists of most needed items, purchase the goods, and they’ll be delivered straight to Metropolitan Ministries!

For questions about the Metropolitan Ministries drive please contact Sarah Romaine sarah.romaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The SAFE Alliance is a merger of Austin Children’s Shelter and SafePlace, both long-standing and respected human service agencies in Austin serving the survivors of child abuse, sexual assault and exploitation, and domestic violence.

Many people come to SAFE with very few possessions. Community donations help provide basic needs, clothing, and household items to assist survivors and their families.

In-person donations will be collected in bins throughout the Austin office.

Most needed items:

·       Pack N' Plays

·       Baking sheets

·       Bed Pillows

·       Twin and Queen size sheet sets and comforters

·       Air mattresses or new boxed mattresses

·       Unbreakable plates, bowls, cups, silverware

·       Mops, brooms

·       Size 5 and 6 diapers

·       Baby wipes

·       Baby lotion/wash

·       Shampoo/Conditioner for Black/African American Hair

·       Brushes, Edge brushes, combs

·       Body wash, bar soap, lotion, deodorant

·       Laundry detergent, dish soap, cleaning sprays

·       New underwear, bras, and in-season clothing & shoes for adults & kids

·       Toilet paper

·       Car seats & strollers

·       Pampering items (makeup, face masks, etc.)

·       Fidget spinners & sensory toys

·       Adult sized bikes & helmets

·       Journals, planners, calendars

·       Canned chicken

·       Chef Boyardee & soups/ramen

·       Condiments (ketchup, may/miracle whip, etc. no packets, please)

·       Pancake mix (just add water) and syrup

·       Hamburger or tuna helper

·       Red or white pasta sauce

·       Individually packages snacks

·       Refried beans

·       Instant potatoes

·       Juice boxes or Kool-Aid packets

·       Gift Cards: H-E-B & Walmart, Visa & Mastercard

To make a monetary donation go here

For questions about the SAFE drive please reach out to Justin Banister justin.banister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The TOY Project gives toys to those who need them, including schools, hospitals, community centres and local families. For example, books may be given to a local school for a classroom story corner, baby toys might be donated to the play therapy team and the children’s ward at a local hospital and board games may be given to a community centre to run an after school club.

Donations will be collected in the Imprivata UK office

Accepted Items:

·       Games and puzzles

·       Wooden toys

·       Character figures such as superheroes

·       Lego, Duplo, Playmobil, Sylvanian Families – boxed sets, incomplete sets and loose parts all welcomed

·       Construction toys such as Meccano or Knex

·       Children’s books – fiction and non-fiction

·       Children’s dressing up costumes and accessories

·       Toy animals and dinosaurs

·       Baby toys

·       Dolls and toy babies and accessories

·       Barbie and Bratz dolls and accessories

·       Toy kitchens and play food

·       Children’s bicycles, scooters and other ride-on toys

·       Vintage and collectable toys

·       Soft toys, fluffy toys or plushies, such as teddy bears

Not Accepted:

·       Anything broken, dirty or unsafe

·       Baby equipment – including highchairs, pushchairs or car seats

·       Used craft sets and paints

·       CDs and DVDs

·       Electrical items that plug into a mains electricity source

·       Toy weapons – including Nerf guns and water pistols

·       Children’s clothes and shoes

Please note: this is a Wishlist generated through Amazon UK, it will not be eligible for purchases from the United States.

For questions about the Toy Project drive please reach out to Katrina Sherenco ksherenco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- End Message ---