Root remaining read-only after boot, no obvious reason why

Hi, all,

Hoping to get some assistance root causing this issue. We have a set of CentOS 7 based systems in AWS that we're using the leapp tool to migrate to AlmaLinux 8.7. Following migration, the root filesystem is ending up being mounted read-only, and I'm having a devil of a time figuring out why. There are no helpful (to me) messages in dmesg, or on the console during boot. Root on these machines is xfs - the filesystems appear to be intact, and running "sudo mount -o rw,remount /" following boot succeeds straight away.

I can see that initrd-switch-root.service runs during initialization (I see "Reached target Switch Root.", followed by "Starting Switch Root..." on the console, and then after, can "systemctl status initrd-switch-root.service", and it indicates that the systemctl command in ExecStart completed w/ a 0 rc).

The AlmaLinux 8.7 distro is using systemd 239 - and CentOS 7 that was migrated from was/is on systemd 219.

Also, for reference, we have another set of systems that we're performing the same migration on, but they're configured a bit differently (ext4 root partition, for starters) - those come up just fine with / mounted rw after reboot. And, starting with a bare minimal C7 system in a local VM, but with filesystems configured the same as our problem children (xfs root, single partition), it also migrates just fine. So, there's something off with the problem children, but I'm having trouble nailing it down. Understanding why root wants to be ro on those systems would hopefully point me at the culprit.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Dave Re
Manager, DevOps Engineering
www.imprivata.com
20 CityPoint, 6th Floor
​480 Totten Pond Road
​Waltham, MA  02451
Facebook
LinkedIn
Twitter
YouTube
The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.  [ImprivataV12018]