Re: Root remaining read-only after boot, no obvious reason why

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 10:21:27PM +0000, Dave Re wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Hoping to get some assistance root causing this issue. We have a set of CentOS 7 based systems in AWS that we're using the leapp tool to migrate to AlmaLinux 8.7. Following migration, the root filesystem is ending up being mounted read-only, and I'm having a devil of a time figuring out why. There are no helpful (to me) messages in dmesg, or on the console during boot. Root on these machines is xfs - the filesystems appear to be intact, and running "sudo mount -o rw,remount /" following boot succeeds straight away.

The kernel default is to mount root ro, so unless there's some configuration to
mount or remount it rw, it'll stay ro. Generally this is configured in two
places 'rw' on the kernel command line and 'rw' in /etc/fstab. Do you have
one or both of those?

If a remount is done, it'll be done by systemd-remount-fs.service. Do you
see it in the logs?

Zbyszek