Re: Please help: timeout waiting for /dev/tty* console device

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 01:37:58PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fr, 06.01.23 19:15, Gabriel L. Somlo (gsomlo@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm failing to get a login prompt on the serial console of my system,
> > because a few steps earlier serial-getty@.service fails due to a
> > dependency on the actual tty device, which times out:
> >
> > [ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device …ttyLXU0.device - /dev/ttyLXU0.
> > [DEPEND] Dependency failed for seri…ice - Serial Getty on ttyLXU0.
>
> So you are saying that the device actually *does* pop up eventually,
> but your systems is simply so awfully slow that the default time-outs
> are hit?

Yeah, at 50MHz and 512MB RAM, it's just about the slowest, most
resource-constrained thing that I'm willing to call a "computer",
by virtue of its actually being able to (barely) boot Fedora's
riscv f37 port... :)

> If so, you solve this locally for dev-ttyLXU0.device by adding a
> JobTimeoutSec= drop-in file (for the [Unit]) section.
>
> Or if you want to increase the time-out globally, consider setting
> DefaultTimeoutStartSec= in /etc/systemd/system.conf to any value you
> like.

I went with "systemd.default_timeout_start_sec=360s" (as also
suggested by Martin elsewhere in this thread). That actually fixed
the tty issue, and also a bunch of other services that were failing
earlier...

Thanks again for the quick replies!

--Gabriel