Re: Please help: timeout waiting for /dev/tty* console device

On Fr, 06.01.23 19:15, Gabriel L. Somlo (gsomlo@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm failing to get a login prompt on the serial console of my system,
> because a few steps earlier serial-getty@.service fails due to a
> dependency on the actual tty device, which times out:
>
> [ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device …ttyLXU0.device - /dev/ttyLXU0.
> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for seri…ice - Serial Getty on ttyLXU0.

So you are saying that the device actually *does* pop up eventually,
but your systems is simply so awfully slow that the default time-outs
are hit?

If so, you solve this locally for dev-ttyLXU0.device by adding a
JobTimeoutSec= drop-in file (for the [Unit]) section.

Or if you want to increase the time-out globally, consider setting
DefaultTimeoutStartSec= in /etc/systemd/system.conf to any value you
like.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin