Re: commits for stable 2024-05-11

On Sun, May 12, 2024 at 8:21 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 09:13:25PM -0400, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> > Please find attached a report generated by keyword matching commits
> > from upstream that may be suitable for stable and probably as CVEs as
> > well.
>
> This is great, thanks for looking into this and sending this out!
>
> > I exclude commits that are already tagged with CC stable in upstream
> > and also commits already in
> > stable/linux-rolling-stable.
>
> I took a very short look, and just picked one commit at random on the
> bottom of the list:
>         cf2df0080bd59cb97a15
>
> And it's included in 6.8.2 already, as commit `0 ("wifi:
> ath11k: fix a possible dead lock caused by ab->base_lock").
>
> So is your tooling working?

Thankyou.
Ah, the marking of which upstream commit that stable uses is not consistent.
That one (and another ~150) used the form :
"^    [ Upstream commit cf2df0080bd59cb97a1519ddefaf59788febdaa5 ]"
and my regex did not accept that.
I have changed the regex to be more permissive in detecting what is a
reference to an upstream commit
and it should be detecting this varient correctly now.

> Also, give us a chance to catch up on commits that are in Linus's tree,
> but not in a -rc release, which you list a few at the top of the list.
> We aren't allowed to apply them until after they hit a -rc release.

I see.
So we should not backporting anything more recent than the most recent
tag in upstream master?
Ok. I have done that change to fix that.

Please find attached a new version of the report.
I also change the format slightly on how the commits are listed so
that it IMO becomes easier to read
and check for specific types of hits.

I have attached an updated scan with
1, fix for being more tolerant when detecting commit references
2, stops scanning at the most recent tag in upstream master

Once this format of the report is in a good shape and we sort out all
the bugs in it
I can set it up to scan and automatically post to the list once a week or so.

regards
ronnie s

--

Ronnie Sahlberg [Principal Software Engineer, Linux]

P 775 384 8203 | E [email] | W ciq.com