Re: [bug report]warning about entry_64.S from objtool in v5.4 LTS

On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 03:19:06PM +0800, Xinghui Li wrote:
> Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 于2023年2月7日周二 14:52写道:
> > I do not understand the actual runtime error, sorry.  Stack traces don't
> > matter at runtime, do they?
> >
> Sorry for the inaccurate description~ I mean it might not just a
> compiling warning.
> Some features we developed based on v5.4's API. Update the kernel
> verison could cause the KABI issue.

What abi issue are you referring to?  The user/kernel api?  Or
out-of-tree-code that is in your kernel tree?

If out-of-tree stuff, just forward port it, like you are going to have
to do anyway.  You have to always have a plan to move forward, otherwise
you are guaranteed to have an insecure kernel someday.

Moving to a new kernel version should always be planned, and possible.
If not, something is very wrong with your management process :(

> We will align with the LTS's lifecycle on our product
> lifecycle(actually shorter).
> If v5.4 do stop being maintained(I know it is not real), It looks like
> we can only maintain it all by ourselves :-(.

Again, why?  What is so magical about this release?

thanks,

greg k-h