Re: [bug report]warning about entry_64.S from objtool in v5.4 LTS

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 05:22:54PM +0800, Xinghui Li wrote:
> Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 于2023年2月6日周一 13:40写道:
>
> > If you rely on the 5.4.y kernel tree, and you need this speculation
> > fixes and feel this is a real problem, please provide some backported
> > patches to resolve the problem.
> >
> > It's been reported many times in the past, but no one seems to actually
> > want to fix this bad enough to send in a patch :(
> >
> > Usually people just move to a newer kernel, what is preventing you from
> > doing that right now?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> Thanks for your reply~ I am sorry about reporting the known Issue.
> I am trying to fix this issue right now. And I met the CFA issue, so I
> just want to discuss it with the community.

Is this an actual real problem that you can detect with testing?  Or is
it just a warning message in the build?

> We keep staying in v5.4 because we developed the product base on v5.4
> 3 years ago.
> So it is unstable and difficult to update the kernel version.

That is very odd, why is it hard to update to a new kernel?  What
happens if 5.4 stops being maintained tomorrow, what are your plans to
move to a more modern kernel?  Being stuck with an old kernel version
with no plans to move does not seem like a wise business decision:(

> I will try to find out a way to fix this issue.

Great, and we will be glad to review patches.

thanks,

greg k-h