Re: Stable list vs versioning

On 10/06/2016 09:22 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 09:19:50PM -0700, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> And, as you have found out, that's a horrible thing to do for Linux and
>>> doesn't work at all :)
>>>
>>> Just because it works for other slower-moving operating systems, I
>>> wouldn't recommend doing it for Linux.
>> Yes, I'm fully aware of the difficulties, though I was hoping that I,
>> with the help some bright ideas from the list could come up with a
>> clever way to make everybody happy.
> But who has the problem here really?  Not the kernel community or
> developers, but rather an odd set of unskilled QA people (your word, not
> mine.)
>
> Why can't they get more "skill"?  :)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Well, I would in no way call our QA people unskilled just because they
in general don't have the skill to know how to locate a particular,
sometimes well-hidden git repo and find out if a certain bug is fixed or
not. Not even Einstein knew how to do that ;)

But I won't try to argue here. I do think, though, that as long as
people believe the easier solution is to version each change they will
keep on doing that and unfortunately as a result important patches won't
get CC'd stable because that would mess up the versioning.

>From your answer I take it there is no interest from the stable
maintainers in helping solving this using some kind of mainline hash
registering tool. I guess perhaps another option is to locally automate
stable / distro git tree scanning.

Thanks,

Thomas