Re: Stable list vs versioning

Hi!

On 10/06/2016 08:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 06:54:43PM -0700, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>> Hi, Stable!
>>
>> As you might be aware of, some companies that maintain linux kernel
>> drivers have the habit of assigning each driver change a new version
>> number.
> And, as you have found out, that's a horrible thing to do for Linux and
> doesn't work at all :)
>
> Just because it works for other slower-moving operating systems, I
> wouldn't recommend doing it for Linux.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the difficulties, though I was hoping that I,
with the help some bright ideas from the list could come up with a
clever way to make everybody happy.

> Is there any specific driver out there that we don't have merged into
> the kernel tree that could be helped from doing this type of thing?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

 Nope, no out-of-tree driver that I know of. This is all in the interest
of sending crucial bugfixes through the proper channels without making
life very hard for Quality Assurance.

Thanks,

Thomas