Stable list vs versioning

Hi, Stable!

As you might be aware of, some companies that maintain linux kernel
drivers have the habit of assigning each driver change a new version
number. Typically a new subpatch number. This is in the interest of
their Quality Assurance department knowing exactly what they test. "Is
the bugfix for problem X part of the kernel I'm testing".

Now this doesn't play well with subdrivers. And it doesn't play well
with stable kernels and other distro-maintained kernels.

The argument "look at the source" doesn't always work. Particularly not
for some distro-maintained kernels where the Quality Assurance
department may not have access to the source or the skill to obtain it.

So basically I was wondering whether there might be a reasonable way
that this problem could be resolved. I was thinking along the lines of a
tool where the mainline git commit-id of a patch applied to stable and
touching a module would be added to a table of patch-ids for the modules
that so requested.

Any comments or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas Hellström