Re: Help with "Go away, you don't exist" error message

Thanks for this pointer.

Although this web page mentions the error message, it does so in the context of complaining about existence error messages. FWIW, it seems to me that SSH has a good excuse for using the time-honored message here, lest it leak information about the existence (or not) of user accounts on the server machine.

Your suggestion of an updated or locked passwd db seems to make sense. I have reservations about because a) all subsequent attempts to connect by this user fail after the initial failure -- which suggests that it is not a transitory problem, and b) there appears to be no activity on the system of any kind between the last successful and first failing connection attempt.

The theory does seem worth investigating though. How would I go about testing it?

Thanks again for your response.

-- Dave