Re: On why debugging OpenSSH can be so hard

If you followed the history of security problems of the non-portable
OpenSSH/OpenSSL series of the past few years, you will notice that a
lot of the problems unleashed were actual oracles and not typical
programming errors like buffer overflows or the likes, but a lot of
timing attacks or similar information disclosure vulnerabilities.

In some case adding what people are looking for would make for a
perfect oracle (e.g. "The key hash was invalid!" or other reasons why a
cryptographic operation failed), or in some cases the developers simply
got too much used to this non-disclosing programming style.

Either way it's not really easy to find the correct balance.

Again, I think you're confusing security with a lazy programming practice. We're talking open source here. The perfect oracle is already there, just not in plain English.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx