Re: Help with "Go away, you don't exist" error message

Salut, David Barker-Plummer,

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:40:59 -0700, David Barker-Plummer wrote:
> A connection is attempted every five minutes.  Sometimes a
> connection is reliably established for several hours, E.g. twelve
> times an hour for six hours = 72 successful connections, say, and
> then the ssh connection will fail with this error message: Go away,
> you don't exist.  Once it fails in this way, all subsequent
> connection attempts also fail.

The problem is that at the point in time where you get the error
message, the machine running the SSH _client_ cannot resolve your user
name using getpwuid. This happens e.g. when you are authenticated
against an LDAP server which times out or whatever (nss_ldap tends to be
just as broken as nss' users, which usually fail to make a difference
between "No such user" and "Error retrieving tokens" errors. Noone
would ever use anything other than a /etc/passwd file, right?).

Please note that we're not talking about the server you want to ssh to.
It's the client.

				Tonnerre
--
SyGroup GmbH