Allowing remote root login seems to be bad. Why?

Hi,

today I found that different Linux distributions have various
policies regarding allowing remote root access. For example,
The Redhat/Fedora crowd seems to enable this on default installs,
but the Debian/Ubuntu don't, they recommend sudo.

I googled around but could not find why fedora allows it, and the
debian people just seem to have one reason: 'allowing remote root
access is bad, everybody knows that'.

Suppose I ensure that root has a very strong password, then does
it really matter either way?

Thanks,
Ron