Re: Searching 30,000 emails

On 05/17/2013 08:08 PM, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
> Pander wrote
>> Have you tried:
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBMail_IMAP_and_POP3_server
>
> Please provide link to DBMail doc showing that they support squat indexing
> or learn what FTS is and how Squat works. I never thought that storing
> binary content in database was good idea.
>
> Older dbmail versions had problems with headers and used mime libraries.
> Newer versions probably fixed it, but they still follow main "email data in
> database" principle. Squat is index database. SQL service can't act as
> search engine for email data stored in database. SQL can't translate MIME
> and mime parts are stored as blobs in dbmail database.

Maintainer of DBMail wrote me the following to answer your question. He
has good experiences with SOLR as search engine for email archives. It
has nothing to do with DBMail actually. For making a large number of
mailing lists searchable and to be able to tag certain users, see:
  http://www.ripe.net/mailtagging/

pyramids + jquery on the front-end and solr on the backend. Works very fast.

The problem with FTS in DBMail is that you don't need it: IMAP only
requires searching parts of text/* messages, so application/octet-stream
etc do not have to be searched according to IMAP. But that is not what
users expect. In his opinion IMAP search is hence broken.

I hope this helps, otherwise contact him directly.