Re: Searching 30,000 emails

On 2013-05-01 20:58, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

>> To be serious, it could be interesting to use mairix[1] to build indexes
>> and to make a UI as a SquirrelMail plugin. It can search very fast in
>> its indexes; results are presented in a separate folder containing
>> symlinks to the actual message files. My non-IMAP-using colleagues
>> *love* mairix.
>>
>> Perhaps mairix would have to be adapted a bit – when I last tried it, it
>> didn't work instantly with Dovecot, but I didn't have the time and/or
>> the impetus to investigate it. Some work on the side of the IMAP server
>> would be needed, too, of course. All in all, the whole thing shouldn't
>> be too difficult, at least for Maildir backends. And no, I'm not doing
>> it – too much to do, too little time, same old, same old.
>
> IMAP UIDVALIDITY kills any client side indexing. Client has to rebuild cache
> every time UIDVALIDITY is invalidated by IMAP server and to rebuild the
> cache you have to download entire mailbox.

I am not talking about client side indexing, but indeed server side
indexing. With some work on the IMAP server side (i.e. mairix
integration) and some on the client side (mairix GUI as SquirrelMail
plugin) this might be possible to do.

Regards, Juergen.

--
<Juergen.Nickelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Tel. +49.30.838-50740
Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung, Central Systems (Unix)