Howto upgrade ubuntu squirrelmail

Hi again,

is it a good idea to use the developer version you can checkout from here in a production system?
svn checkout http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/squirrelmail/trunk/squirrelmail
Would you say from experience that we can make a cron to regularly "svn up" or will this make the system unusable?

Currently we have the neweset Ubuntu's version from apt-get, which is SquirrelMail V1.4.20. Is there no up to date repository for Ubuntu?

And last question, do the config files match between 1.4.20 and 1.5.22 or will we have to setup a lot to get the system up and running?

Cheers,
John