Re: Translation of messages of a plugin

>> Please don't top-post.  Refer to the mailing list posting guidelines
>> if you have doubts about how to post here.

>> > After trying a few things on the documentation, still not translating. I
>> > am
>> > sorry if I am asking about obvious things, but I dont know what else to
>> > try
>> > and I am stuck.
>> > I have followed the steps here:
>> > http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/HelpTranslating
>> > where it says "Translating plugins".
>> > I have changed a tested it, putting a string in the msgstr parameter, as
>> > the
>> > documentation suggests,.. but no luck.
>> > I restarted Apache, but still the same.
>> > If anyone has done this before, it could be very helpful.
>>
>> You need to show what you've done in order for anyone to tell you why
>> it isn't working.  Also be specific about which plugin you're
>> translating.  We need *EVERY* detail.
>>

> Sorry for the top-posting.. long time I haven't posted so I forget.

Thanks for understanding.  Next thing to fix is not to send HTML to
mailing lists, thanks.

> I have realised now what's missing, by still don't know how to go on.
> The plugin's name is "restrict_senders". Here is what I did:
> - I created path where the .po and .mo files will be saved, that is, as the
> documentation says, using ../locale/<language_code>/LC_MESSAGES
> /path/squirrelmail-1.4.21/plugins/restrict_senders/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES

These two paths are not the same thing.  You need to place your translation in:

...../squirrelmail/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES

> - Then I created the .po file:
> xgettext --keyword=_ -d restrict_senders -s --language=php *.php
> That generated the file: restrict_senders.po

xgettext is used to generate a .pot file.  And you should notice that
Restrict Senders already comes with one for you in its locale
directory.

> - Compiled it:
> msgfmt -o restrict_senders.mo restrict_senders.po
> - Then I had my restrict_senders.po and restrict_senders.mo
> /path/squirrelmail-1.4.21/plugins/restrict_senders/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/restrict_senders.po
> /path/squirrelmail-1.4.21/plugins/restrict_senders/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/restrict_senders.mo
> - Then, modified this bit, for testing, in the restrict_senders.po file:
> #: functions.php:228
> #, c-format
> msgid "Too many outgoing recipients. Please limit number of recipients to
> %d."
> msgstr "Esta es la traduccion."
> - Then compiled the modified .po file again.
> - Restarted Apache.
> So, I have realised that, at the beginning of the explanation, it says that
> I have to tell Squirrelmail where this file is (obvious now that I know..).
> I copy-paste the example in the documentation, that it's been done with
> another plugin, the view_as_html plugin:
>
> /* i18n.php defines the _() syntax */
> include_once('../functions/i18n.php');
> /* Now tell gettext where the locale directory for your plugin is
>  * this is in relation to the src/ directory
>  */
> bindtextdomain('view_as_html', SM_PATH . 'plugins/view_as_html/locale');
> /* Switch to your plugin domain so your messages get translated */
> textdomain('view_as_html');
> if($show_html_default == 1) {
>     echo "<a href=\"$new_link&amp;view_as_html=0\">";
>     echo _("View as plain text");
>     echo "</a>\n";
> }
> else {
>     echo "<a href=\"$new_link&amp;view_as_html=1\">";
>     echo _("View as HTML");
>     echo "</a>\n";
> }
> /* Switch back to the SquirrelMail domain */
> bindtextdomain('squirrelmail', SM_PATH . 'locale');
> textdomain('squirrelmail');
>
> So, I found I don't know where to put this configuration...

All this PHP code is unneeded.  Restrict Senders is already coded
correctly for being translated.  You only need to create a .po and .mo
and put them in the right place.  When you're done, please share with
the community if you would.  You should send it to our
squirrelmail-i18n mailing list (and this question would also have been
more appropriate there).

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team