Re: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

On Thu, December 2, 2010 1:58 pm, michael crane wrote:

> On Thu, December 2, 2010 6:26 pm, Sam Freund wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Problem: I keep getting the following message: "ERROR: Connection
>> dropped by IMAP server".  Fortunately after a minute or so, the error
>> message will go away and my mail will work again, but I'm trying to
>> figure
>> out what this problem is and how to stop it.  This is happening for all
>> email accounts through squirrel mail, on multiple types of computers (we
>> primarily use Macs).
>>
>> Background: A few months ago I began working at this company (SoloVision
>> Productions), and I was not briefed on how squirrel mail was installed
>> or
>> functions for our mail, but I now have the responsibility as
>> administrator.
>> I looked through your web page in your ³Before Asking for Support²
>> section
>> as well as ³Known Bugs² and ³Solving Problems² sections, but I still
>> don¹t
>> know how to fix this problem (possibly because I don¹t completely
>> understand
>> how this system works).  I¹m extremely sorry if the answer to this
>> problem
>> is easy but I can¹t seem to find (or understand) a solution.  Please let
>> me
>> know what I can/should do to fix this problem...I am happy to provide
>> any
>> information necessary although I might need to be walked through the
>> process
>> of how to find out that information.
>>
>> Thank you for you time, looking forward to your response,
>> -Sam Freund
>
> hello, I am an amature user and so you can take anything I say with a
> pinch of salt but I would say that the problem is not with squirrelmail
> config ( although it may be) but with the IMAP thingy. My amature
> suggestion would be to install your own test instance of the server and
> squirrelmail etc so you know what's going on then I suppose you could dump
> everybodies mail into your install and use that ?

I have also seen this before, however, I discovered that it is probably
because there is too much mail coming in, and that there are "mail
filters" that are timing out before the mail gets sorted. I can't remember
exactly where I changed the setting to fix this, but I am sure but I think
that it was in the /etc/php.ini file and it was "default_socket_timeout"
Mine is set to 60. I get thousands of email per day and 60 seems to work
for me.

Someone else can probably verify this clue

believed to be clean.