Re: Squirrelmail: UTF-8 not handled well

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> Hello Tomas Kuliavas,
>
> Am 2010-05-01 00:55:10, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>>

>> Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:
>> >
>> > it seems Squirrelmail does not even handel UTF-8.
>> >
>> Please explain term "does not handle". SquirrelMail works with utf-8.
>> utf-8
>> can be displayed without any additional dependencies since some 1.2.x
>          ^^^^^^^^^
>> version.
>
> My X-Server/fwm is configured with de_DE.UTF-8 and my system  is  intern
> the same and apache2 is set to UTF-8 by default, I  can  write  (in  the
> interface of squirrelmail farsi or corean) but is  it  not  possibel  to
> send ANY UTF-8 Mails because the text/plain mail come to  the  recipient
> as weird charactercodes (htmlentities).  squirrelmail does not use UTF-8
> with base64
>
>> > My "apache2" is set by default to "UTF-8" and  works  perfectly
>> without
>> > changing anything or declating UTF-8 im my website.
>> >
>> SquirrelMail utf-8 handing is not related to apache. You can set apache
>> default charset to whatever you want and SquirrelMail PHP scripts still
>> set
>> headers to value used by selected translation.
>
> And WHY does squirellmail send the HTML Page as iso-8859-1 for which  my
> system was never setup?  It  is  squirrelmail  which  is  sending  false
> encoding and screw up the entire system
>
> Ohif I change in Firefox from "Western iso-8859-1" to "Unicode UTF-8" it
> works up to the next click.
>
> However, I can not copy-Past ANY UTF-8 Text into squirlelmail (but it is
> shown) abd send it.
>
>> Again totally useless complain. Plus you use rc2 version which has known
>> issues.
>
> This mean since ever...  rc2 was suggested to me from this list.
>
>> Please show list of enabled plugins and list of enabled system locales
>> ('locale -a' command on Linux console).
>
> $squirrelmail_default_language = 'en_US';
> $default_charset       = 'UTF-8';
> $lossy_encoding        = false;

Your SquirrelMail does not send iso-8859-1. It sends utf-8 headers (See
http://yfrog.com/izlivebp and http://yfrog.com/jotdwavep). It might send
iso-8859-1, if you select not default translation in your SquirrelMail
display preferences.

You are not supposed to change character set in browser. Charset is set
automatically. SquirrelMail has no way of knowing that you have changed
input character set.

Some browsers can send 8bit characters as html entities, if these characters
are not supported by charset used in page. If your webmail is in utf-8,
Farsi symbols are supported.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

>> I've been using SquirrelMail in utf-8 for ages. Older versions had
>> problems,
>> but they were solved several years ago. Some problems still exists, but
>> they
>> can't be fixed in SquirrelMail. These problems are not caused by
>> SquirrelMail. They are caused by third party mailers, that don't follow
>> email standards.
>
> "courier" is a standard...

In email world Courier is an email server. It has nothing to do with MIME
formating errors.