Re: Squirrelmail: UTF-8 not handled well

Hello Tomas Kuliavas,

> Your SquirrelMail does not send iso-8859-1. It sends utf-8 headers (See
> http://yfrog.com/izlivebp and http://yfrog.com/jotdwavep). It might send
> iso-8859-1, if you select not default translation in your SquirrelMail
> display preferences.

And why do you think does Firefox switch to "Western iso-8859-1" even if
my prefered charset is UTF-8?

Also the Developer Toolbar tell me  that  sqirrelmal  send  the  page  a
iso-8859-1

> You are not supposed to change character set in browser. Charset is set
> automatically. SquirrelMail has no way of knowing that you have changed
> input character set.

Thats right, firefox does what squirrelmail  requestd:  show  iso-8859-1
instead of UTF-8.  It use ONLY UTF-8, if I receive a  message  in  UTF-8
and if I reply but then the text/html mail coming  into  my  mutt  looks
very htmlentity which is not a standard for standard mailer.

> Some browsers can send 8bit characters as html entities, if these characters
> are not supported by charset used in page. If your webmail is in utf-8,
> Farsi symbols are supported.

And how do you think, does my own Webinterface support Farsi and Arabic?
My firefox, apache2 and PHP installation is definitively working.

> >> I've been using SquirrelMail in utf-8 for ages. Older versions had
> >> problems,
> >> but they were solved several years ago. Some problems still exists, but
> >> they
> >> can't be fixed in SquirrelMail. These problems are not caused by
> >> SquirrelMail. They are caused by third party mailers, that don't follow
> >> email standards.
> >
> > "courier" is a standard...
> >
> In email world Courier is an email server. It has nothing to do with MIME
> formating errors.

You wrote:  "caused by third party mailers"

and we use only courier, mutt and squirrelmail.  There should be  not  a
singel inconsistence and the bug must be in squirrelmail.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator

itsystems@tdnet France           itsystems@tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack          Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz               Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France         77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil       Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx