Re: Squirrelmail: UTF-8 not handled well

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> it seems Squirrelmail does not even handel UTF-8.

Please explain term "does not handle". SquirrelMail works with utf-8. utf-8
can be displayed without any additional dependencies since some 1.2.x
version.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> My "apache2" is set by default to "UTF-8" and  works  perfectly  without
> changing anything or declating UTF-8 im my website.

SquirrelMail utf-8 handing is not related to apache. You can set apache
default charset to whatever you want and SquirrelMail PHP scripts still set
headers to value used by selected translation.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> If I connect to <webmail.tdwave.net> anything is screwed up.

Again totally useless complain. Plus you use rc2 version which has known
issues.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> "squirrelmail" is sending always iso-8859-1  and  not  even  considering
> iso-8859-15.

SquirrelMail does not "consider" anything. All translations except US
English have hardcoded character set values. Most of translations are not in
utf-8, because SquirrelMail had liberal policy about translations. Character
set was selected by translation maintainer and not by translation team
leader.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> EVEN, if my interface is setup to "farsi", I can not  copy-past  "UTF-8"
> text into the message feeild and send it.
>
> Sorry !"squirrelmail developers" but you are transforming this tool into
> the last crap.  I am already ongoing to  code  my  own  ALREADY  WORKING
> "UTF-8" Web-Mail interface.  Even if I have to code each feature my self
> it saves me headache...
>
> "UTF-8" and "farsi" was not working,  is  not  working  and  will  never
> working with "squirrelmail"

Please show list of enabled plugins and list of enabled system locales
('locale -a' command on Linux console).

I've been using SquirrelMail in utf-8 for ages. Older versions had problems,
but they were solved several years ago. Some problems still exists, but they
can't be fixed in SquirrelMail. These problems are not caused by
SquirrelMail. They are caused by third party mailers, that don't follow
email standards.