Re: Squirrelmail: UTF-8 not handled well

Charles Howes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I use 'Fail2Ban' to email me security alerts, which I then forward to
> someone else.  I've modified it to include translations of the message.
> The original message looks great in SquirrelMail, but when I hit
> 'forward', it mangles the foreign characters in the editor and in the
> outgoing email.  Here's an example of the forwarded characters:
>
> Chinese: IP 216.18.219.148
> 是一个已知的黑客。阻止他们。谢谢!
> Korean: 216.18.219.148 은 알려진 해커입니다. 그들을 멈춰.
> 감사합니다!
> French: IP 216.18.219.148 est un hacker. Arrêtez de les s'il vous plaît.
> Merci!

fail2ban sends 8bit information from WHOIS without proper MIME headers. Not
a SquirrelMail problem. Ask fail2ban developers to fix their mailer. If MIME
headers are not set, email body must be in us-ascii.

If SquirrelMail can display email correctly and mangles it (with some 8bit
garbage) only on forward or reply, your setup is not set to use utf-8 and
lossy encoding is not enabled.