From: Wm Mussatto [mailto:mussatto@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:51 PM
To: squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  query regarding SMS

On Wed, March 3, 2010 22:25, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

> Benedict Simon dcunha wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> I am sorry and do apologise for this posting which is probably off topic
>> but would be really thnkful if someone could excuse me for posting here
>> and help me
>>

>> i have the following setup working perfectly for the last couple of
>> years
>>
>> Centos 5.2 server running the following
>> Sendmail Mail server
>> MailScanner
>> Mailwatch
>> Squirrel mail 1.47 will upgrade soon to 1.4.20 candidate 2 used as
>> webmail
>>
>> I would like to have my mail users to receive mails as text sent from
>> squirrelmil interface nd also reply to these messages.
>>
>> Is there a way i could accomplish this. also if someone can point me a
>> link or examples s how i could achieve this would be really very
>> grateful
>>

> If your user wants to get notifications about received emails, some mobile
> providers have email to sms gateways. User sets forwarding to
> cell-number@xxxxxxxxxxx address in his or her email setup and gets sms on
> any received email. Replace 'cell-number@xxxxxxxxxxx' with correct number
> and domain.
>
> If user wants to use email on his/her cell phone, he/she should get phone
> which costs more than one Kuwaiti dinar. Normal cell phones include HTML
> browser and support JavaME. Some even have email programs. SquirrelMail is
> bit bulky for use on cell phone browser, but user should be able to read
> emails in Opera Mini without big problems, if browser is set to mobile
> mode.
>
> --
> Tomas
While I haven't done this with SM. Both AT&T and Verizon have email
addresses equivalent to their SMS phone numbers.  Works fine, in that
header's are stripped off.  Trust me, my phone is REAL basic. You can
reply back from the phone.   Of course it emails longer than the SMS
character limit get broken up.  Use it to replace a text pager.  Trick is
to find what their gateway is.

May not be what the originator wanted, but it does work.

Bill Mussatto
http://www.csz.com

List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):