Re: SM and UW Wont' Play

On Mon, February 15, 2010 21:53, Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, February 12, 2010 2:58 pm, Jerry Kaidor wrote:
>>>
>>> Why didn't you try Dovecot?
>> *** Thanks for the pointer. If UW doesn't satisfy, I'll try it.
>>
>>    The main thing I like about UW is that it deals with mail kept in the
>> usual place - /home/myname/Mail with the individual message lists as
>> files in mbox format. Because I also read mail from the Linux command
>> line with elm.
>
> Dovecot can be configured to keep any format/location you want. So, if
> you ever get to use it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
>

>>   And 20-30 folders is fine with me - that's about all I have anyway.
>>
>>                              - Jerry Kaidor
We are a debian-Linux shop.

We switched a number of years ago from UW to dovecot.  At the same time we
switched to mdir format from mbox.  The only think I noticed was that the
first time dovecot read from a folder with a lot of messages is that it
timed out (we are talking 4000+ message).  It continued to complete the
indexing in the background so the next time it came up it was fine.  There
is software that converts from mbox to mdir format.  We were moving users
over to a new server.  We use procmail as the MDA and when I mixed up the
the format the message went to the /var/spool/mail area in mbox format.
Fixed the .procmailrc file, re-ran mb2mb and everything was fine.  We are
using dovecot to handle both pop3 and imap access and that has solved
conflicts we were having.

I use SM, but my sysadmin uses mutt w/o issue (I use mutt to cleanout
accounts when M$ mailreaders time out or block on reading particular
messages).

Good luck.

------
William R. Mussatto